Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"War on Terror" -- Calculated Political Phraseology

A WaPo op-ed is spot on:
Constant reference to a "war on terror" did accomplish one major objective: It stimulated the emergence of a culture of fear. Fear obscures reason, intensifies emotions and makes it easier for demagogic politicians to mobilize the public on behalf of the policies they want to pursue. The war of choice in Iraq could never have gained the congressional support it got without the psychological linkage between the shock of 9/11 and the postulated existence of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. Support for President Bush in the 2004 elections was also mobilized in part by the notion that "a nation at war" does not change its commander in chief in midstream.
I must admit (cringes in anticipation) that I was taken in by this tactic. I have seen the err of my ways, and am willing to admit how wrong I was. It won't happen again. I wish I could've seen this quote long ago, and thought on it long and hard:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
--An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania, Unknown, but credited to Franklin (1759)
So true. And so sad in the times in which we live.
________________
Technorati tags: