Thursday, March 1, 2007

George Orwell on Writing

Why I won't be a great writer anytime soon:
George Orwell’s Rules for Clear and Simple Writing

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.
I wish I had the time and energy to make my writing (and life in general) into a purple cow ...

So far, though, I'm just busy breaking Orwell's rules. HT: Alister Cameron
________________
Technorati tags: