Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Broken Record That Is Creationism

I went through a humor phase, once, in hearing the same damn questions answered over and over again to benefit the intellectual laziness of creationists. They repeat, like stupid parrots, the lines they are fed by pastors and "creation scientists" like Kent Hovind, then, when those are answered, they plug their ears in their fingers, or stare with their blank looks of incomprehension back at you, and repeat the same fu%#@ng questions...whether 10 mins later or 2 months later, whether to you or to someone else.

I went to the Friel-Tabash debate on Monday [Eddie soundly whipped the joker, I'm working on uploading it to Google Video as we speak, and I'll link back later], and the same thing happened (yet again). A woman demanded answers of me to the classic questions:
Here's the $64K question: do creationists read the answers? Do they have the sufficient willpower or background education to understand the answers (or even the questions)? Most important of all, do they want to even try?

The humor phase is gone. When I reciprocated these questions right back at her...what were her answers? "I dunno, but God did it!" They require evidence and logical arguments, but offer nothing in return but mere fideism. But they can go home and sleep at night, because they think they have used their own ignorance to disprove scientific knowledge. The anger phase is waxing. The futility phase -- where I quit even trying to educate people, because I recognize they don't want to learn, but only to believe what they wish, and cover their intellectual bankruptcy with a façade of scientific merit -- is right around the corner.
________________
Technorati tags: , ,