Friday, May 18, 2007

Best. Interview on Falwell. Ever. -- Hitchens Last Night on H&C

Watch it HERE:


I laughed so hard at the end -- "If you gave Falwell an enema he could be buried in a matchbox!" Bwahahahah

PS: If anyone thinks Hitchens is too much an asshole, or that his accusation that Falwell's apology was fake, read this:
Here's something I missed from before Falwell died or I would have written about it. Everyone remembers Falwell's infamous remarks to Pat Robertson on the 700 Club, blaming all of his usual political enemies for 9/11. I'll paste the exchange below the fold:

JERRY FALWELL: The ACLU's got to take a lot of blame for this.

PAT ROBERTSON: Well, yes.

JERRY FALWELL: And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen'.

PAT ROBERTSON: Well, I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government. And so we're responsible as a free society for what the top people do. And, the top people, of course, is the court system.

After that, both Falwell and Robertson flat out lied about it. Robertson told Fox News a couple days later, "I thought it was totally inappropriate at the time." Nonsense. At the time he said, "I totally concur" and even expanded on those comments. Falwell's first response was to claim that he was being misrepresented, then when that excuse didn't fly (because the video was being played all over TV, for crying out loud) he offered a fake apology (TRANSCRIPT).

Falwell told CNN: "I would never blame any human being except the terrorists, and if I left that impression with gays or lesbians or anyone else, I apologize."

But as it turns out, just last week before he died, Christiane Amanpour interviewed him on CNN and he said he was standing by what he said then. Watch the video HERE.

So he made an appalling statement, then he lied, then he offered a fake apology, and then he went back on the apology. And remember, folks, this is the voice of the "moral" majority.
About as moral as a cockroach, peddling ignorance and making $200 million a year for it.
________________
Technorati tags: , , ,