Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cho Seung-hui Had a MySpace Page

I was wrong about this -- turned out to be a fake page.

Wired News and others have asked about the shooter's online writings. I may be the first person to have found what appears to be Cho Seung-hui's MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/choseunghui

I wrote a message to this account to accuse anyone who may have opened this after-the-fact of being a macabre and heartless soul. I think it's authentic, because it's set to private -- who would open it and label it with "Ismail Ax" but not try to throw crap out there for attention? I can't verify this independently, of course, but someone will.

**UPDATE: Check out the video page of this MySpace user. I exploited a small privacy weakness on MySpace which allows you to view the video page of any user, whether their profile is set to private or to public. Interestingly, it says, "California, US" as the location. It doesn't yet appear that he ever lived there, but I don't know how significant this would be, since the red "Ismail Ax" appears on the front page. If this page was modified since the shooting, then we know this page is a fake. If not, then we have a high degree of certainty that it is genuine -- the "Ismail Ax" is a clincher piece of evidence. I wrote to MySpace using their contact form and asked them to see if the page had been modified since the shooting, since this would appear to impinge on their identity theft policy, not to mention being a cruel hoax. If anyone hacks the page, please let me know, since I seem to be the first person to have found this.**

**UPDATE 2 (12:50 pm): Commenter Max below alerted me that the source code on the MySpace page in question (CTRL-U shows the source code of the page you're looking at) says that the last login was today (4-18-07). I did notify the MySpace authorities earlier this morning, so I wonder if they logged in to the account; I'd love to hear back from them to find out what is going on -- whether that login was them checking the profile or what. For now I'll play it safe and remove the wikipedia reference.

**UPDATE 3 (2pm): Exploiting another weakness in the MySpace privacy system, which I don't care to elaborate on, I found the following information:
First Name: Seung-Hui
Orientation: No Answer
Motive: Friends
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Location: , California, US
Profile Updated: Apr 17, 2007 7:22 PM
Therefore, this page is a fake. These people doing this are just fucktards. Please, send them a message telling them so.

**Final Update: I just received the following email from MySpace
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Not Found (2) - Imposter Profile
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 03:17:36 -0700
From: Imposter Report, imposterreport@support.myspace.com


Hello,

Thank you for reporting this profile. The profile in question is
scheduled to be deleted.

Thank you,

MySpace.com
________________
Technorati tags: ,