Monday, February 26, 2007

More on "Yeshua bar Yehosef"

I mentioned that Cameron claims to have found Jesus' tomb yesterday, and that they'll be airing more on the research on March 4 on Discovery (see website).

While I think it interesting that an ossuary was discovered bearing the inscription, "Jesus, son of Joseph," and that they claim DNA testing confirms the genetic relations of the other occupants of the tombs, also inscribed with Joseph, Mary, Mary Magdalene, etc., I simply don't know enough history or archeology to evaluate a claim like this on my own. I'll wait to see what the skeptical/liberal experts have to say. If even they are dubious, then I think it quite unlikely that this means much.

So far, predictably, conservative scholars have slammed it.

Obviously, the names Mary, Jesus and Joseph were very common at this time. But the likelihood of finding them all together in one familial tomb, with proper inscriptions and with DNA evidence makes this find quite interesting. We'll have to wait and see as the evidence is released to the scientific community.
________________
Technorati tags: