Thursday, September 24, 2009

Obama Effect Redux

I played racquetball last night at a city park. Like many city parks located around large black populations, the basketball gym inside was almost entirely filled with young black males playing basketball, having fun, goofing off. What I noticed, and the reason for the title of this post, was a poster over the water fountain that I've never seen before:


It's apparently the creation of an Atlanta-based designer, King Photography and Graphics. I found it and two other posters like it on www.nomoresagging.com. It dovetails nicely with a question I raised a few months back about Obama's impact on black culture. Although he's personally weighed in against the sort of laws against sagging that Atlanta and other places have considered, he did clearly state that he thought wearing them like that was disrespectful of others.

I don't know how much of an impact things like this have now or will have later, but it is an interesting thing to keep an eye on.