Thursday, May 22, 2008

Random items

I used to listen to Steven Curtis Chapman (when I was a Christian), so this is really sad. His teenage son ran over his youngest daughter in the family's own driveway and killed her. And I find things like this just more evidence of the lack of a caring and powerful god -- it was a complete accident, nothing to do with free will. Notifying any of the family via a messenger angel or telepathy or "prophetic" dreams that this was going to happen would not have violated anyone's freedom.

This story about another megachurch minister getting caught doing something over the top sexually (think Haggard & diving suit) reminds me of an old thread I wrote -- "Stunning hypocrisy". This guy, though, was going to meet a 13-year old girl with a box of condoms on the front seat; at least Haggard and Gary M. Aldridge were legal.

I've never taken a philosophy class, so my rambling attempts at arguing with apologists over atheistic ethics should be forgiven. That said, after reading this exposition on Rawls and social contracts, I think I see the ideal I was striving for in explaining how morality follows logically from valuing one's own life and survival. It isn't about biology or evolutionary ethics, but it doesn't have to be.