Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stupid arguments

MediaMatters flagged a blog by one of the nutball religious right organizations, the American Family Association ("We love all families...so long as they're straight and Christian."). In it, the author argues, with apparent seriousness, that we ought to adopt a policy to stop Muslims from immigrating to America and ship off the ones who are already here.

After I read it, shaking my head, I read the next blog post by the same author, and I just literally can't believe how stupid it is. First, I don't know of any liberal "elitist" who thinks all cultures are "equal" in the way that he pretends. Rather, most postmoderns think that certain customs or traditions within culture are difficult to objectively evaluate. I don't think anyone would say that there aren't valuable things within all cultures, as well as some things that we should perhaps all be critical of (e.g., Western culture promotes materialism and Social Darwinism).

The last part of his post just has to be a spoof. I hope. Read this part:
My point all along has been that the more devout a Muslim becomes, the more of a threat he becomes to our national security. And we just can't know when a "moderate" Muslim, like Maj. Hasan, will suddenly decide to get serious about his faith and wind up going jihadi on Americans.

The question then, which regrettably I failed to ask Imran, is this: how can we tell the difference between the Muslims we don't have to worry about (such as Imran) and the ones we do (such as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan)? I've yet to receive a satisfactory answer to that question. Once Muslims help us to find a foolproof way to identify the troublesome Muslims, it might make sense to loosen immigration restrictions. Until that day comes, unrestricted Islamic immigration remains a threat to our national security.
Ok. So let me change a few words around there and give that back to this idiot:
My point all along has been that the more devout a Christian becomes, the more of a threat he becomes to our national security. And we just can't know when a "moderate" Christian may evolve into "Christian" militias or Tim McVeigh, and suddenly decide to get serious about his (or her) beliefs and wind up killing Americans.

The question then, which regrettably I failed to ask Bryan Fischer, is this: how can we tell the difference between the Christians we don't have to worry about (such as Bryan Fischer) and the ones we do (such as "Christian" militias or Tim McVeigh)? I've yet to receive a satisfactory answer to that question. Once Christians help us to find a foolproof way to identify the troublesome Christians, it might make sense to loosen immigration restrictions. Until that day comes, unrestricted Christian immigration remains a threat to our national security. We should send devout Christians back to their home countries.
I wonder how he would feel if someone said this to him? I mean, hey, our country is not (to Bryan Fischer's chagrin) a "Christian nation", but an explicitly secular state. We can't afford to have all these devout Christians running around trying to make everyone do what they want them to do.