Tuesday, February 26, 2013

If you can't beat 'em, rig 'em!

A few months ago I just shook my head as I read about the scheme to apportion electoral votes by heavily-gerrymandered districts. Obviously, Republicans can't win the popular vote in states where the majority of voters don't vote Republican. So instead they want to cut out the majority of voters (living in large cities) entirely. Lol.

...except it's true. Luckily the plan failed in Virginia.

So hey, guys, if you really want an amazing idea, here's one: do away with the Electoral College completely. Scrap it. It is a ridiculous waste of time and money to vote in our modern democracy the way we do and focus ONLY on "swing states". I know I have little incentive to vote, living in a deep red state like I do.

But of course Republicans would never support a measure to elect Executive officials based on popular vote. Since they'd lose even more than they already do now.