Thursday, July 17, 2008

Skeptical thoughts re the Bible

I've made no bones about my feeling that the resurrection is a myth, as well as the birth narratives. I've also explained why skepticism is warranted when approaching the Bible in general, given the nature of ancient superstition, the lack of fact finding capabilities for writers in the era, the relative dearth of gospel-related facts in the earliest NT (Pauline) manuscripts, the growth of legend as the gospels aged, and so forth.

I just wanted to highlight two posts at my old haunt that are very good on these issues:
  1. Why I don't believe in the resurrection, by Matthew Green
  2. Where is the 800 pound gorilla? by Bart Willruth
A lot of the stuff being written at DC is sort of "pop culture atheism", but the overall tenor of conversation there is much higher than, say, the RRS.