Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thoughts on writing

Wow. 800 posts. Two and a half years of blogging (since 11/05). That's a lot of writing.

Lots of quantity, but as for quality, I must suck. I've submitted entries to three contests, but won none (from oldest to newest):
  1. FFRF 7/1/06 -- here was the entry
  2. AA 1/23/07 -- here was the entry
  3. Seed Magazine 6/25/07 -- here was the entry
Perhaps of more importance to me than the contests themselves is the act of writing, even if I'm not sure why I do it. I have tried and failed to stop blogging here, although I was successful at extricating myself from a site where I previously blogged. I've been blogging less since taking my new job, but I still write a lot on the weekends and in the mornings (sometimes saving drafts to be finished later). I've felt one way or another about blog privacy, but for now, it's staying private. I can't afford to lose my job, not with a kid on the way.

In the meanwhile, it seems clear that from my contest failures I'm not a spectacular writer. But it's something I enjoy. And it's something I see myself doing for the rest of my life. I love documenting my thoughts and seeing how I've evolved as a person over the last few years. It's almost like something you can pass down to your kids -- to show them how you grew and changed over the years.

To everyone who does actually read my ramblings from time to time, thanks for letting me share my thoughts and my life with you.