Sunday, April 13, 2008

Rand & Ingersoll

Where does that odd combo come from?

Krugman mentions that colleges are now being paid to sponsor reading of Rand's work. It's sad if they don't merit academic attention on their own and have to be subsidized. I did enjoy reading Atlas Shrugged and part of The Fountainhead, and I've even written my thoughts on her, but I would agree that they aren't really worthy of a required reading list. The ideas in them, though, are great for philosophy classes & clubs.

Tom Flynn is on Point of Inquiry talking about Ingersoll. I'm a big fan of Ingersoll, and have been since even before reading his bio.

I think Rand & Ingersoll have a lot in common -- they're almost entirely adored only by agnostics and atheists, and they are neither widely known, despite having written and said some very interesting things.