Thursday, April 24, 2008

My polycarbonate bottle

So I bought a Trudeau water bottle from Target and today I was wondering if it is made with BPA. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be, given that Trudeau is a Canadian company and they've been looking into BPA for a while now.

I think the fear over BPA is a lot of hype. It's probably a good idea to buy BPA-free baby bottles, because infant development is so sensitive. However, adults should not fear. For one thing, the solubility of BPA is 120-300 mg/L at around room temperature, which basically means that it is nearly insoluble in water and thus migration from the plastic into your drink is going to be next to nonexistent.

I really love my Trudeau brand bottle -- the double wall design is very useful as it avoids all condensation and keeps your hands dry. Also, the drinking straw is wonderful because it sucks to completely unscrew and rescrew the top on a bottle for each drink. It's also proven nearly spill proof. Try one!