Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Homeless in Gainesville

I'm not sure if it's the location of Gainesville, its proximity to I-75, its geographic resources for people who sleep outdoors (apparently, the Rainbow Family loves Ocala National Forest), or the generosity of its citizens, but the number of vagabonds is now a city-mandated issue, with a "10 Year Plan", including shelter construction, to affect homelessness in G'ville. It's been a boilerplate issue in city politics.

I mentioned my own interactions with "Radical Bill", aka William H. Abney, a vagrant 70s-era activist who lingers about the UF campus throughout the day and still engages with campus preachers (he's still radical, I guess) in my review of the campus preachers, parts 1 and 2. Some of them fall into the well-worn "pretend to be a vet/disabled/have my pet with me to evoke sympathy" category to elicit more money, but some don't even ask for it, and I find these people fascinating, if I can say that without sounding condescending. Of course, most generic bums don't qualify, but some transients leave me with the impression that they enjoy life more than I do, and Bill is one of these. He is always smiling and happy, always reading a book or newspaper, always ready to share an anecdote.

There's something about the ones who are mentally healthy and "just choose to live that way" that is strangely appealing to me. Like Thoreau at Walden Pond, they seem more liberated to me than destitute -- like they've transcended the petty stuff we shackle ourselves to and have returned to nature...or something.

And then I remember how much I like a hot shower and a clean bed and fine wine and food. I'm just a weenie.

Maybe I just need to do a few weeks in the wilderness every once in a while to put that wild impulse in perspective.

I bring this up because I read about some overlap with this concern (homeless) in Jacksonville, where an Ass. Prof. was recently charged with violating a city ordinance for feeding the homeless without a permit. The charges were later dropped, but I found it both sad and exasperating that such a law would exist in the first place. He is now challenging the constitutionality of the law on the grounds of religious expression. (HT: Religion Clause)
________________
Technorati tags: