Friday, February 6, 2009

Last resort

I've mentioned before that I had a lot of friends involved in drugs when I grew up. One of the places they often went/were sent was to a Christian-based treatment program called Teen Challenge, as there was a center located only about an hour from my hometown. There are lots of resources out there debunking the statistics they claim about their "cure rate" but all in all the center near my hometown had a good reputation.

On the other hand, there are stories like this one from 2003, places where parents send "troubled teens" who end up getting abused or worse. I suppose when you're at the end of your rope, sending your teen off in handcuffs with strangers somehow doesn't seem all that scary...

...okay, I think these parents are dumbasses with too much money, but still.