Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If we can't get them out, we'll breed them out

Longshanks' famous Braveheart quote leaves me depressed at times, as I consider the fact that the people who I know that have 3+ kids are all ridiculously religious and ridiculously conservative. It's obvious that religion's built-in self-preservation device is a strong Darwinian competitor, even in areas where children starve to death because their parents' religion denies them the right to plan their families and control birth.

The good news is, as I've analyzed before, the picture may not be as gloomy for my generation of young liberals as it was for the prior ones. Basically we just have to decide to use the inexorable math involved to push for policy changes in "socialized day care, family leave, and other dreamy Scandinavian-style policies," to pump up birthrates among liberals, according to Michelle Goldberg.